Saturday, January 8, 2011

This isn't a Circus, it's a Freak Show

Our car finally arrived last week, and with it came the exhilaration of being able to properly explore our surroundings. I was ecstatic to discover on a recent trip to Wal-Mart that the circus is in town. The CIRCUS! How much fun is that?

Sure, some people are terrified of clowns (like my friend, Shalinn, who I e-mail or text a photo of a clown to every chance I get), but for the most part, everyone loves a good circus. And what could be better than a circus in an exotic foreign locale?


How about a circus that doesn't feed their lions with stray dogs?

While doing an Internet search for pricing info and hours of operation (I was hoping to catch tonight's evening show), I stumbled across this gem of a news article.

It's in Spanish, so for those of you that don't speak the language and are too lazy to run it through Google Translate, let me just say that, while performing in Cancun last March, el Circo Do Portugal was found guilty of not only feeding stray dogs to their animal performers, but also encouraging children and the lower class to steal dogs and sell them to the circus for 150 pesos.

Guess I'm gonna make it a Blockbuster night.

We have plans to visit the zoo tomorrow. I hope that turns out to be a little less horrifying.




2 comments:

  1. You know what this inspires...

    BRIT BRIT!

    All eyes on Aar, in the middle of a ring, just like a CIRCUS! When he cracks that whip, everybody wanna trip, just like a CIRCUS!

    Looks fun. Do you still need a maid and maybe a driver now???

    ReplyDelete
  2. This...circus looks fun? Boo.

    No, we have a maid, and I think we're comfortable driving ourselves. :-)

    ReplyDelete