Sunday, March 27, 2011

Happy Birthday To Me!

Okay, okay, so my birthday was three days ago. I can't help it, I've been super busy and this is my first chance to post about it. Busy doing what, you may ask? Well, apparently, I thought 31 was a big deal, and have been officially celebrating since last Friday.

And in some ways, 31 IS a big deal to me. I certainly didn't freak out over 30. In fact, 30 was so anti-climactic that I stopped blogging for a while. Don't get me wrong, the party was lovely. The presents were amazing. I just couldn't believe how utterly underwhelmed I was by the alleged milestone that is the big 3-0.

And so I am quite happy to say that 31 caused quite the visceral reaction...a panic attack that lasted for a week and a half. You see, last month it suddenly occurred to me that 31 would mean I am officially closer to 40 than I am to 20. TJ, ever helpful, was kind enough to point out that this has technically been true since the day after last year's birthday, but that didn't matter to me. What mattered was the actual number. And frankly, I found 31 to be a lot scarier than 30.

Fortunately, my short attention span prevailed and I got over myself before I went out and bought a Ferrari or got some sort of unpleasant body piercing.

There's nothing all that insightful to say about 31, but I've learned from last year, so I'm not going to go on a blog strike or anything. Instead, I'll just say that I hope to be fortunate enough to have another 31 wonderful years. Well, I'd actually like 62 more, but you catch my drift.

This has truly been a remarkable birthday. I hosted a well-attended happy hour and dinner with friends from work (Thanks, everyone, for not getting too annoyed by my indecisiveness on when and where to go). I got serenaded by a Mariachi band. Mom and dad sent a truckload of goodies. I sent myself some goodies (Thank you, Amazon.com!). TJ and I tried some new restaurants and discovered our new favorite mall. We hit the clubs with some local friends. My co-workers showered me with red velvet cake and song. And that's what I will leave you with tonight. Song, not cake. I don't know how to share cake on-line.

Without further ado, the Mexican birthday song, Las Mañanitas. It's a fun, happy song. Unless your coworkers insist on singing it every time they make visual contact with you...which they did.



No comments:

Post a Comment