Calvin there may be perfect, but I'm certainly not. I've been doing some thinking over the last few weeks, and although I'm not usually one to make New Year's Resolutions, there are a few things I want to accomplish before the end of the year. Here they are, in no particular order. Well, I guess they're in this order...
1. Lose weight. I want to weigh what I weighed when I met TJ. I think 60-70 pounds ought to do it. Shameful, isn't it? I posted once, way back in the day, that I was going to hit this particular weight goal on such-and-such date. It didn't happen. This is the first time I've acknowledged that in this blog. Good news is that I don't weigh any more now than I did then. Bad news is that I don't weigh any less, either. I'm going to do my best to finally reach my goal by year's end.
2. Exercise more, eat healthier foods, drink less alcohol. Obviously, carrying out Number 2 will assist with Number 1. My mom went to the doctor last week to have an MRI to find out why she has been suffering chronic leg and hip pains for the past four years. She had been struggling with her doctor, who wouldn't authorize an MRI, for months until, finally, she found a new doctor that would. Turns out she may have a blocked aortic valve. She was floored by the possibility. I want to develop healthier habits now so that when I am her age heart problems will hopefully not be a concern. Meanwhile, mom will know more pending the results of tomorrow's CT Scan.
3. Blog more. I only posted 58 times in 2011, compared to 126 in 2010. You'd think that I'd have more to say and do in Mexico than I did in D.C. Well, I do. The problem is I'm too busy doing those things to say anything about them. Let's see if we can change that.
4. Write something, even if it's crap. My one great regret in life will be if I never try to be a professional writer. It can be a novel, novella, children's book, cook book, or even my very (not) interesting life story. I don't' care what it is. I just want to put pen to paper. Doesn't even have to get finished this year...just needs to get started. I actually did write an article for State Magazine that should be published in the first quarter. It's a nonpaying gig, but it's a start.
5. See as much of Mexico as I can before we leave. 'Nuff said.
I think those five things make for a good start. I'm sure there's plenty more that I could do to better myself, but then what would I have to look forward to in 2013?