Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My Marriage Matters

Today was a monumental day in the history of the American gay rights movement.  Today, the Supreme Court of the United States let the world know that my marriage is just as important, just as legal, just as beautiful, as any heterosexual marriage.

Now that Section 3 of the horrific Defense of Marriage Act has been struck down in a 5-4 decision, I am eligible for 1,138 benefits, rights and protections that were previously denied to me.  A few are listed here.  Insane, right?  All of those things that most of you just take for granted, and here I am rejoicing at finally having access to them.
It was also a big day for California as Proprosition 8, a 2008 amendment to the California state constitution that limited the definition of marriage to those unions occurring between a man and a woman, was thrown out in its own 5-4 decision, bringing the total number of states that recognize marriage equality to thirteen (plus the District of Columbia)!  Thirty-seven to go!

Now, I could take this post in a couple of directions.  I could be sappy.  I could be preachy. I could be political or smug.  Instead, I just want you to know that, today, I am incredibly happy.  I would like to leave you with some of my favorite images from today's Facebook wall postings.
 George Takei quipped that this is what he saw 
when he logged into Facebook this morning.

My friend David, who was lucky enough to be inside when the opinions were read, 
made the front page over at Fox News.  

Wishful thinking on EVERYONE'S part...



And, finally, the most important images of the day:



This fight is far from over.  We will not stop fighting until gay marriage is legal in ALL 50 states.  You've been put on notice, America.  But today?  Today we will just rejoice.



2 comments:

  1. I loved the westboro baptist church reaction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how David made the cover in Fox News! He will be signing autographs soon!

    ReplyDelete