Friday, August 27, 2010

365 Challenge, Day 40: Shakespeare? In Love!


The Shakespeare Theatre Company opened its 2010-2011 season last Thursday with a Free For All presentation of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, featuring Queer as Folk's Randy Harrison as Sebastian.

Free For All is a much-loved Washington tradition that offers free performances of a Shakespearean classic to the general public. Tickets are offered via on-line lottery, and today was my lucky day!

Click Here for information on how you, too, can attend a free showing of one of Shakespeare's great comedies.

I will be the first to admit that I had no knowledge of Twelfth Night beyond its title and author prior to this evening. In fact, my sole reason for attending was for the chance to see Mr. Harrison on stage (advanced warning for like-minded individuals: Harrison only appears in one scene during Act I, though does feature prominently in Act II). Plot synopses are available all over the Internet, so I won't bore you with details.

Shakespeare usually provides great source material; it is up to the cast and crew to deliver a top-notch production. I can now say that, Harrison or no, this performance offered one of my favorite theatre-going experiences to date.

In fact, we will likely be entering the ticket lottery again. Please disregard the above link. I don't need the competition.


2 comments:

  1. Uhm, LOVEEEE Randy Harrison...shocker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god... that man STILL doesn't look a day over 12!

    ReplyDelete